Special Needs Savings Scheme (SNSS)
SNSS was developed by the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) in partnership with the Central Provident Fund (CPF) Board to enable parents to set aside CPF savings for the long term care of children with special needs. Under SNSS, parents may nominate their loved one with special needs to receive a regular stream of fixed payouts upon the parent’s demise.
How does SNSS work?
- At the point of nomination, parents can decide the amount of monthly payouts the child with special needs will receive upon the nominating parent's demise.
- The minimum monthly CPF payout is $250 for each nominated child with special needs. Parents may decide on a higher quantum.
- There is no minimum balance required in parents’ CPF account to sign up for SNSS. However, the nominating parent’s CPF savings upon his/her demise must be sufficient to support a year’s worth of payout (e.g. a minimum monthly payout is S$250 x 12 months = S$3,000). If, upon the parent’s demise this condition is not met, the CPF savings will be disbursed as a lump sum to the nominee with special needs.
- Without the SNSS nomination, a deceased parent’s CPF savings in the Ordinary, Special, Medisave and Retirement Accounts will be distributed to his/her nominee(s) as a one-off lump sum payment in cash if he/she had made a Cash nomination. If the deceased parent did not make any nomination, his/her CPF savings will be transferred to the Public Trustee’s Office for distribution to his/her family members in accordance with the Intestate Succession Act or Inheritance Certificate (for Muslims).
- When the nominating parent passes on, the child with special needs will receive these pre-determined monthly payouts until the deceased parent’s CPF savings are exhausted.
BOTH parents of an eligible child with special needs may apply for the scheme for the benefit of the same child.
Nominating applicant should be:
- The parent or an appointed legal guardian of the child with special needs
- Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident
Individuals with disabilities has to either:
- Require assistance in at least one Activity of Daily Living (ADL*); or
- Attend or have attended a Special Education (SPED) school
*The six ADLs are washing, dressing, feeding, toileting, mobility and transferring.
- Parents can download the application form (436KB) and send the completed form to SNTC via mail, email or fax. The application must be sent with copies of the following:
- For assistance with the Doctor’s Assessment Report, please contact the doctor of your choice before your visit to ensure that he/she provides the assessment service. You can also refer to the list of Appointed Medical Assessors if you are unable to find a suitable doctor.
- An eligibility letter will be issued to the nominating parent once the application is approved. Please proceed to the Central Provident Fund (CPF) Board with this eligibility letter to make the SNSS nomination.
Help Us To Reach Out and Serve
If you know someone who will benefit from SNTC Trust Services, please refer them to us using the referral form below.DOWNLOAD FORM